Skip to main content

Why I Run

I needed to write about something other than my studies today, and so I decided to finally start a post on my postless running blog.  This will be a short post to kick-off my running blog, and will only discuss a brief reason or two with more to come on this subject in the future (I am writing this post instead of an important paper that is quickly nearing its dead line).  

Running and I sort of found each other.  I can't think of the exact moment that I wanted to start running.  One thing I can say for certain is I knew that when I began to run there would be two important aspects that would dictate what kind of runner I  would be.  

First off, I knew I would prefer trail running.  I have always been an obsessed outdoors man and have had a deep love and respect for the wild places of this marvelous planet.  I am a very solitary border line-hermit when it comes to many things.  The solitude offered by trail running was very enticing.  I love adventure and challenge.  I think that running technical rocky, steep, muddy, circuitous trails seemed to be more challenging and rewarding for me personally, because of the demands and variability.  I found that the best way I can communicate with nature is by connecting on a literal level with my feet connecting with the earth.  I love the impact and connection each foot makes as it strikes the moist soil or rocky ground.  I love scenery whether it is a panoramic view from a wind-swept peak or a obstructed densely-forested valley, I enjoy engulfing great gulps of every breath-taking scene.  Trails offer me a wonderful array of beauty.  There are many other reasons for my preference of trail running that will pop up in future posts.

The second aspect that seemed to dictate what type of runner I would be was distance.  I always knew that I was going to be a distance runner.  I haven't completely figured out what it is about the far side of 26.2 that is so tempting, but there is definitely a strong attraction.   I have never been tremendously interested in the arbitrary distance of the marathon.  Don't get me wrong it is an impressive distance and requires ridiculous training and strategy to run it well.  I just have a relentless desire or even a need to go further.  I really like the idea of pushing my personal limits to the extreme edge.  I find that when I am operating on the edge of my limits that life becomes more delicious, clear, and simplified.  There are some very important reasons that these long distances also attract me.  I think that I have a very bad case of obsessive compulsive behaviour.  This is manifested in the way I grab hold of something I find pleasure in, and then squeeze it until I get every last drop of enjoyment out of it.  This has happened with many passions in my life.  I enjoy the steep-end of the learning curve.  It is during these difficult times that the most growth and subsequent joy occurs. I really like the idea of covering amazing distances and seeing places that few people have the ability to see.  I can't picture myself as anything but an endurance runner.  I find that training runs less than 2 hours often lack the little extra something that only appears with the onset of fatigue.  There is truly a remarkable award at the end of each run, a little treasure that is only meant for me and if earned it the prize is brilliant.  This prize is also directly proportional to the effort put in to obtain it.  I strive to make each and every run feel epic.  This is very much a part of the mental game and I find it helps me to push myself even when there is no reason to.   Ultra marathons require a strong base of many many miles to draw from.  They also demand a sense of body and an understanding of yourself that is hard to accomplish without the rigors drawn-out performance and extreme fatigue.  I love the strategy that is involved with proper fueling and hydration, and smart efficient forward movement throughout the course.  All of these things make endurance trail running my thing.  

I always was a bit uncomfortable with athletics and never felt like I quite "fit in".  I struggled with team sports and even in my younger years found running the mile was unable to do it for me.  I think I have always been an endurance trail runner I just hadn't realized it yet.  Though I can't recall the exact 'light bulb'  moment that I decided I was an endurance trail runner, it sure has been a perfect fit for me.  I have found so much joy out of it.  I can run when I want and where I want, and for as long as I want, what a sense of freedom.  I am the only variable in the equation.  It is a competition with myself and all else fades away.  I look forward to entering more events.  I have signed up for some races and have several more in mind.  I also have many long runs planned that will consist of myself pushing my personal limits and simply learning.  That is all I have time for now but I will post more as time comes availible.

Comments

Tim said…
I always enjoyed our basketball games, and always loved having you on my team because you were like twice as fast as anyone else on the floor. However, you running in the outdoors is seems to be right down your alley. Keep up the posts.
Jimmy Mac said…
Steve I agree. My running has become so much a part of who I am. I love running the trails and the peace it brings to me. There is definitly something spiritual about running the trails by yourself that you don't reach even at the marathon road distance. I am a runner! Keep it up!

Popular posts from this blog

"The Van Aaken Method" vs. "The Lydiard Method"

I just finished reading a book by Ernst van Aaken Called "Van Aaken Method". I am a huge proponent of long slow distance and started working towards the "Lydiard Method" way of training earlier this Spring. Van Aaken was experimenting with long slow distance before Lydiard, as early as the 40's. Though both methods are quite similar there are some slight differences. I experimented with both over the last bit and have merged the methods into a plan that works well for me, with my plan resembling Lydiard's method the closest. These endurance centered methods are the extreme opposite of the tempo or interval training methods that experienced popularity in the middle of the last Century, the premise of which is to run many anaerobic intervals (using more oxygen than you can breath causing lactic acid to form) without full recovery between intervals. What is Long Slow Distance? In a nutshell the theory involves running every day and running as much mileage

Running Syncope (Losing consciousness after running)

I went for my Saturday morning run today just like any other weekend run in the past. I had planned on running with a small group of people in the morning but thought I had missed them when I noticed their cars were at our meeting spot but no one was around, so I ran on by myself and thought I would see them along the run. I felt pretty good this morning and had a really fast pace. I haven't been sick this week but I could tell I was just a bit off the last 3-4 days. I blamed it on stress from writing my PhD proposal but now I am wondering. I saw someone running quickly about a full Km ahead of me (it is a very straight and flat course). I thought I could catch them in the next 10 minutes so I pushed pretty hard. I met my goal on caught the runner about the time I veered off to run a different side trail. I hit my turn around point and decided to cruise back to my car. I was only running 6 km in the morning and was planning on a steep and technical 20 Km run in the evenin

Enough with the thesis! Lets talk running! The Titans of Trail Running (Anton Krupicka edition)

It is probably apparent from this title that I am burned out of thesis work and running has fought back my studies and crept back into my thoughts, and I hope as of tomorrow, I will be cleared to run. I did not get any running in this weekend like I had hoped in my previous blog entry. I did eat a lot of turkey and had a subsequent triptophan coma. This is my second Canadian Thanksgiving and it felt like Thanksgiving this year I had a great holiday. I am currently wearing my Holter heart monitor as I write this. I turn it in to be analyzed and then hit the treadmill first thing in the morning. Tomorrow will be my first time running since my incident. I am so anxious it feels like the night before a big race. My research has settled down a bit and a change in timing for committee meetings has altered my deadlines, so I will actually have some time to think about stuff other than rocks. As my blog implies I would like to talk about several (of many) trail running heroes I have and why, o