Skip to main content

R.I.P. Asics Trail Trabucos Jan 8, 2009 - April 24, 2009 (800 Km)



My shoes have finally bit the dust.  I have ran about 800 hard core trail Km's in them and have decided it is time to retire them.  They have been a good shoe but I feel that they didn't fit my foot exactly right.  Following is my review of these shoes.

Sole:
Advantages - The tread on this sole has a nice bite and seldom slipped.  The sole was also extremely rigid and I never felt any sharp rocks through the sole.  

Disadvantages - The tread would sometimes hold onto pea and marble size gravel and then they would slide on harder surfaces.  I feel that a larger further spread out lug may be the better tread design.

Mid sole:
Advantages - I felt that the mid sole had plenty of cushion and the Gel was nice.  I only have started to feel problems from the cushioning breaking down.  

Disadvantages - The arch support would rub on the inside of my arch where it transitions into the ball of my foot.  This is more of a problem having to do with my foot not fitting right and not the shoe.  

Toe Box:
Advantages - The toe box had plenty of space.  The toe box was perhaps the best feature of the shoes and how they fit.

Disadvantages - After 10 miles I would begin to develop blisters on the tips of my toes.  This was later remedied with women's nylon "not-socks".  Ultra and blistered toes are synonymous regardless of shoes, but I will do my darnedest to cut down on them.

Overlays, Uppers and Laces:
Advantages - There was never a shortage of support for this shoe.  The overlays gave good support around the arch and top of the foot.  I am constantly running side slope on slick rocks at steep angles and have found my foot to never slide laterally. 

Disadvantages - I had a problem right at the beginning with the laces becoming too tight across the bridge of my foot that really caused some pain. When I loosened the laces they were too loose.  After a couple of weeks this was no longer an issue.  I also had a hard time keeping the fore foot tight and the ankle tight independent of each other.  A two-lace-per-shoe set up would have remedied this problem.  The uppers on the shoe were not cut low enough for my ankle bones and I would get some rubbing on the outside of my ankle bones of my down-slope foot especially when side-sloping.

Weight, Ventilation, Water resistance:
I felt these shoes were a nice weight, I never felt they were too heavy.  They had the right amount of ventilation and breathed nicely.  They were not that water resistant but they drained and dried quickly.  Water would come in through the sides when running in deep mud or water (common in BC). I feel an extra 2 cm of water resitance such as sprayed-on teflon would do the trick without increasing the weight or the breathabillity.  They are a nice shoe for running on wet trails in warmer weather when goretex might be too warm causing excess sweat.

Overall Grade and Recommendation:
I would grade these shoes at about a 6.5/10.  This has more to do with the shoe not quite fitting my foot, than because of problems with the design or quality of the shoe.  If I were to grade the overall quality and support and versatillity of the shoe they would be closer to an 8.5/10 but those problem areas just caused a pain that wouldn't have been there on a better fitting shoe.  It is hard to tell that the shoe doesn't fit that well until you test drive them for a while.  I also have slightly different sized feet.  

I would recommend this shoe to anyone with a neutral stance who runs extremely rocky (especially sharp rocks) and challenging trails.  This shoe would actually run the Wasatch 100, knee knacker or bonneville shoreline nicely.  I feel that the blisters on my toes, arch and rubbing on outer ankle bones wouldn't be a problem for someone who has a better fit with this shoe. They never had any lack of ankle support and saved me from having bad ankle rolls as well.  I also got quite a bit of road use out of the shoes with no problems.  I would recommend this shoe based on quality and support, but make sure it fits well and feels good from day one.  I probably will not buy it again because of the afore mentioned issues with fit.

What is my next shoe going to be?

I am going for the Brooks Cascadia 4's.  I am way pumped to try this shoe out.  It fits like a glove and has widely-spaced large lugs.  It seems to have a wide base and looks very stable.  I am interested to see how the overlays and ankle support compares.  I will let you know in about 800 Km.

Comments

Tim said…
Looks like you got your money's worth on those shoes at least. The new pair of shoes that you are looking at look VERY nice. I have no idea how many miles I have on my shoes, I have had them for awhile now, but they are still really comfy, so I can't complain to much about them. Keep up the good work.

Popular posts from this blog

"The Van Aaken Method" vs. "The Lydiard Method"

I just finished reading a book by Ernst van Aaken Called "Van Aaken Method". I am a huge proponent of long slow distance and started working towards the "Lydiard Method" way of training earlier this Spring. Van Aaken was experimenting with long slow distance before Lydiard, as early as the 40's. Though both methods are quite similar there are some slight differences. I experimented with both over the last bit and have merged the methods into a plan that works well for me, with my plan resembling Lydiard's method the closest. These endurance centered methods are the extreme opposite of the tempo or interval training methods that experienced popularity in the middle of the last Century, the premise of which is to run many anaerobic intervals (using more oxygen than you can breath causing lactic acid to form) without full recovery between intervals. What is Long Slow Distance? In a nutshell the theory involves running every day and running as much mileage

Running Syncope (Losing consciousness after running)

I went for my Saturday morning run today just like any other weekend run in the past. I had planned on running with a small group of people in the morning but thought I had missed them when I noticed their cars were at our meeting spot but no one was around, so I ran on by myself and thought I would see them along the run. I felt pretty good this morning and had a really fast pace. I haven't been sick this week but I could tell I was just a bit off the last 3-4 days. I blamed it on stress from writing my PhD proposal but now I am wondering. I saw someone running quickly about a full Km ahead of me (it is a very straight and flat course). I thought I could catch them in the next 10 minutes so I pushed pretty hard. I met my goal on caught the runner about the time I veered off to run a different side trail. I hit my turn around point and decided to cruise back to my car. I was only running 6 km in the morning and was planning on a steep and technical 20 Km run in the evenin

Enough with the thesis! Lets talk running! The Titans of Trail Running (Anton Krupicka edition)

It is probably apparent from this title that I am burned out of thesis work and running has fought back my studies and crept back into my thoughts, and I hope as of tomorrow, I will be cleared to run. I did not get any running in this weekend like I had hoped in my previous blog entry. I did eat a lot of turkey and had a subsequent triptophan coma. This is my second Canadian Thanksgiving and it felt like Thanksgiving this year I had a great holiday. I am currently wearing my Holter heart monitor as I write this. I turn it in to be analyzed and then hit the treadmill first thing in the morning. Tomorrow will be my first time running since my incident. I am so anxious it feels like the night before a big race. My research has settled down a bit and a change in timing for committee meetings has altered my deadlines, so I will actually have some time to think about stuff other than rocks. As my blog implies I would like to talk about several (of many) trail running heroes I have and why, o