Skip to main content

A good week for training

This week began my new semester and saw more time available to devote to my running.  How did it go, considering the last month has been pitiful?  

Friday and Saturday were comprised of two horrendous runs of 15 kms each, where I almost died because of my decreased fitness from the wussy previous mileage.  I huffed and puffed, even walked up a few portions of the climbs.  I felt awful and I was sad because I was so excited to run after my nasty semester, but my body said to chill.  I took Sunday off to recoup from those painful and slow runs.  

Monday was cool and rainy, and I decided to do some back-2-back-2-back-2-back summits of Doug (4 total).  I love hill repeats.  I ran these babies right up until I was about to puke.  Immediately following my speedy descent I would turn around and crank back up the mountain as fast as I could.  I feel that the hill repeats are huge for several reasons.  I think many runners have fear of hills and dread them.  I am no different but I have found that the more you do something that intimidates you the less intimidating it becomes.  I have found that summiting 2 or three times in a longer run is not that big of a deal after comparing to the hill repeats on Monday.  This Monday I will add another repeat and make it an even 5.  It took about 1.5 hours to do the 4 repeats on the course I chose.  It was pretty rough but fantastic.  I also think besides the psychological boost from running hill repeats you also get added VO2 max and lactic acid tolerance.  Really hills are speed work or sprints in disguise.  I will definitely make hill repeats a standard staple in my training repertoire.  

Wednesday was a long run and consisted of 4 laps around the base of Doug.  I avoided hills on this run and just went for distance on the fairly level perimeter trails (Norn and Whitaker).  It was a nice 2 + hour run on a very warm sunny day.  I used my sweet duct tape bottle holders and was well hydrated and rested.  I have also solved my previous blister problem (for distances less than 15 miles anyways).  I purchased a couple of pairs of well....ladies nylon stockings (I know, ridiculous, but it is a small price to pay for blister prevention).  They are the ones that only cover the sole of your foot.  I put those beauties on, and then my socks and have not had any hot spots or blisters since.  We will see how they work when I start hitting the 5 and 6 hour runs.  

Thursday (yesterday) was my fastest time of the Mount Doug gutbuster course so far.  I believe it may have been my strongest run of my life even.  I was possessed.  I couldn't be slowed, I just tore up all the hills and nearly sprinted the flats.  I shaved 10 minutes of my PR for the course.  That is so awesome considering I had such a tough start this week.  I think I had just kept my fitness up enough that I just had to push through this first week and then I was right where I left off.  I was even forced off the trail by two other runners and I flew into the brush off the steep side of Doug.  I was able to save my joints and legs and grabbed branches to prevent myself from rolling.  I just got back on the trail and pushed even harder, I just flew through the next two miles of trails.  I even had huge scratches on my legs that were bleeding and I just thought they looked sweet.  It began to rain and I cooked home the rest of the way.  I must throw in a learning experience.   After running for a hard hour I was nearly done with my run and was experiencing that warm glow we all call the runners high.  Well there was a large log about a meter tall across the trail.  I usually run around it, but the warm fuzzy state I was in made me decide to hurdle it instead.  I don't know what got into me but I leaped off from my left leg and was instantly gripped by a severe Charley horse.  I am talking one of those where your entire calve is a big knot.  I quickly dorsi-flexed and was able to run it off, but I easily could have injured myself.  I will not leap logs on extremely tired legs ever again.  I decided to take today off as well just so I don't over do it where I have lost a lot of my previous base mileage.  I finished the week out at approximately 40 miles.  I will pass 50 next.

Comments

Tim said…
you are a running machine!!! Reading your posts give me motivation to go run. I have been off pace lately due to an illness, CRAPPY weather, and a vacation. So I need to get started again. Keep up the good work man!

Popular posts from this blog

"The Van Aaken Method" vs. "The Lydiard Method"

I just finished reading a book by Ernst van Aaken Called "Van Aaken Method". I am a huge proponent of long slow distance and started working towards the "Lydiard Method" way of training earlier this Spring. Van Aaken was experimenting with long slow distance before Lydiard, as early as the 40's. Though both methods are quite similar there are some slight differences. I experimented with both over the last bit and have merged the methods into a plan that works well for me, with my plan resembling Lydiard's method the closest. These endurance centered methods are the extreme opposite of the tempo or interval training methods that experienced popularity in the middle of the last Century, the premise of which is to run many anaerobic intervals (using more oxygen than you can breath causing lactic acid to form) without full recovery between intervals. What is Long Slow Distance? In a nutshell the theory involves running every day and running as much mileage

Running Syncope (Losing consciousness after running)

I went for my Saturday morning run today just like any other weekend run in the past. I had planned on running with a small group of people in the morning but thought I had missed them when I noticed their cars were at our meeting spot but no one was around, so I ran on by myself and thought I would see them along the run. I felt pretty good this morning and had a really fast pace. I haven't been sick this week but I could tell I was just a bit off the last 3-4 days. I blamed it on stress from writing my PhD proposal but now I am wondering. I saw someone running quickly about a full Km ahead of me (it is a very straight and flat course). I thought I could catch them in the next 10 minutes so I pushed pretty hard. I met my goal on caught the runner about the time I veered off to run a different side trail. I hit my turn around point and decided to cruise back to my car. I was only running 6 km in the morning and was planning on a steep and technical 20 Km run in the evenin

Enough with the thesis! Lets talk running! The Titans of Trail Running (Anton Krupicka edition)

It is probably apparent from this title that I am burned out of thesis work and running has fought back my studies and crept back into my thoughts, and I hope as of tomorrow, I will be cleared to run. I did not get any running in this weekend like I had hoped in my previous blog entry. I did eat a lot of turkey and had a subsequent triptophan coma. This is my second Canadian Thanksgiving and it felt like Thanksgiving this year I had a great holiday. I am currently wearing my Holter heart monitor as I write this. I turn it in to be analyzed and then hit the treadmill first thing in the morning. Tomorrow will be my first time running since my incident. I am so anxious it feels like the night before a big race. My research has settled down a bit and a change in timing for committee meetings has altered my deadlines, so I will actually have some time to think about stuff other than rocks. As my blog implies I would like to talk about several (of many) trail running heroes I have and why, o