Skip to main content

Friday 9 Miler - SPRING IS HERE!

This morning started like the last few have, cold and overcast.  The last few days it has really dumped buckets of rain over Victoria.  I went to school and continued to work on my projects that are due on Wednesday.  It was the official last day of classes so the beginning of the Summer Semester or break, depending on how you look at it.  On my way out from some seminars in the afternoon, I realized that the sun was out and it was warm.  Students had set up volley ball nets and were throwing frisbees.  There was music blaring and everyone was in shorts.  It was amazing the difference from the cold morning to the springy afternoon.  I absolutely loved it.

Well I had to take advantage of the beautiful weather so I planned on running a 'shorty' 9 mile loop around the Mount Doug Gutbuster course + another quarter lap.  It had been a few days since I have ran due to my intense schedule.  I was amazed, it was as if the entire mountain sprang to life.  The wild flowers were blooming, all of the undergrowth had big bright green leaves.  I was amazed.  Just days ago, my little microcosm of Mount Doug was still in a silent slumber.  What an amazing sight to see life literally springing out of every sunny corner on the mountain.  

The tragedy is that my running has taken a passive role in my life while I wrapped up these papers.  So the run was a little painful and I can notice the first signs of my wimpy milage.  I am just dieing to start running 50+ mile weeks again.  I crave it all day long.  I have lost much of my fitness as a result.  I will have to battle hard to get it back, come the middle of next week.  That being said, I still had an absolute enjoyable run.  Just cruising in the warm sun, as the afternoon sun stretched the cool shadows of the Douglas Firs across my path was inspiring.  

Now time to get to my training blog and discuss some observations and lessons learned from this run.  I did the full 9 miles in 1:30:26 - slow, I know, but remember I am coming off from three low mileage weeks in a row and am under some serious pressure.  Excuses aside, there were some other unique challenges as well.  The trails were completely waterlogged.  I mean it was wet.  Some observations I have made from a day of running in the 'soup slop' is that it really tweaks a lot of your ligaments and stabilizer muscles.  I found my legs and muscles consistently having to strain or adjust to keep my balance.  Most of trails were small streams.  My strategy was not to skirt around the edges of the muck like many people do, but to run right through the middle.  This strategy offered several advantages.  First I dislike the fact the trails become wider and wider as people circumnavigate soggy areas, and second I found that the shoulders of the trail were quite gummy and slick, whereas the center, where the water was flowing, washed the mud away and left a nice gravely surface (all be it a wet one) for traction.  I love a good romp in the mud!  the biggest negative aspect of my strategy was that I got hot spots and some blisters starting due to soaked feet.  If I had lubed up my feet with non-petroleum jelly or body glide before the run, and had a nylon or polypropylene base sock, I would have had no problems.  This will be something I will consider in the future.  Overall it was a nice run, and I learned a bit more about running in the slop.  

Comments

Tim said…
It sounds like you will have a little more time for the next little bit to get up to speed on your running, with summer break coming up. Keep up the good work.

Popular posts from this blog

"The Van Aaken Method" vs. "The Lydiard Method"

I just finished reading a book by Ernst van Aaken Called "Van Aaken Method". I am a huge proponent of long slow distance and started working towards the "Lydiard Method" way of training earlier this Spring. Van Aaken was experimenting with long slow distance before Lydiard, as early as the 40's. Though both methods are quite similar there are some slight differences. I experimented with both over the last bit and have merged the methods into a plan that works well for me, with my plan resembling Lydiard's method the closest. These endurance centered methods are the extreme opposite of the tempo or interval training methods that experienced popularity in the middle of the last Century, the premise of which is to run many anaerobic intervals (using more oxygen than you can breath causing lactic acid to form) without full recovery between intervals. What is Long Slow Distance? In a nutshell the theory involves running every day and running as much mileage

Running Syncope (Losing consciousness after running)

I went for my Saturday morning run today just like any other weekend run in the past. I had planned on running with a small group of people in the morning but thought I had missed them when I noticed their cars were at our meeting spot but no one was around, so I ran on by myself and thought I would see them along the run. I felt pretty good this morning and had a really fast pace. I haven't been sick this week but I could tell I was just a bit off the last 3-4 days. I blamed it on stress from writing my PhD proposal but now I am wondering. I saw someone running quickly about a full Km ahead of me (it is a very straight and flat course). I thought I could catch them in the next 10 minutes so I pushed pretty hard. I met my goal on caught the runner about the time I veered off to run a different side trail. I hit my turn around point and decided to cruise back to my car. I was only running 6 km in the morning and was planning on a steep and technical 20 Km run in the evenin

Enough with the thesis! Lets talk running! The Titans of Trail Running (Anton Krupicka edition)

It is probably apparent from this title that I am burned out of thesis work and running has fought back my studies and crept back into my thoughts, and I hope as of tomorrow, I will be cleared to run. I did not get any running in this weekend like I had hoped in my previous blog entry. I did eat a lot of turkey and had a subsequent triptophan coma. This is my second Canadian Thanksgiving and it felt like Thanksgiving this year I had a great holiday. I am currently wearing my Holter heart monitor as I write this. I turn it in to be analyzed and then hit the treadmill first thing in the morning. Tomorrow will be my first time running since my incident. I am so anxious it feels like the night before a big race. My research has settled down a bit and a change in timing for committee meetings has altered my deadlines, so I will actually have some time to think about stuff other than rocks. As my blog implies I would like to talk about several (of many) trail running heroes I have and why, o